A huge part of my life is exercising. I don't think I could stay sane without it. In LA, I feel like I'm always in my car - everything is too far to walk to. Because of this, I try to do at least one active thing a day. However, I need to switch it up, otherwise I quickly become bored with my workout. Here are my go-to exercises.
1. Spinning- Early 2017 a friend introduced me to a hot spin class not too far from where I live in LA. I became obsessed. I spin all the time now and don't think I'll stop anytime soon.
2. Boxing- Boxing is a great way to let off steam and get an incredible, full body workout. I started boxing this year consistently.
3. Dancing- I've been dancing since age 7 and I give dance full credit for why I love exercising and being active. From ages 7-14 I was dancing every day. And I mean every. day. I didn't have to do any other form of exercise for all of those years, partly because there was no time between school and dance classes. I continue to take class at least once a week.
4. Running- Okay, I know, running is not the most fun form of working out, but I grew to love it while I was working on Some Assembly Required in Vancouver. I didn't really know the city at the time and we were working every day so I didn't feel like traveling to a workout class before or after work. This forced me to use the gym at the building I was staying at the time. I ended up running every day after work (except Fridays- those were live show nights) and ultimately running a 10k race with one of my co-stars - a huge feat for me. Now I'm working my way up to a half-marathon in 2018.
5. Tricking/Tumbling- This one is kind of unconventional. Many people don't know that I started out in gymnastics when I was 5 years old and it remained a hobby of mine through my dance years and continues to be through my acting years. I train at Joining All Movement in LA doing tricking, and the best way I can explain it is a combination between martial arts and gymnastics. I continue to do this to keep up with my tumbling and stunt skills.
6. Yoga - Last but not least, YOGA -specifically HOT yoga! I discovered hot yoga in between seasons of Some Assembly and have been taking classes ever since. I take a yoga sculpt class in LA which is a mixture between traditional flow and weight training/cardio. It's absolutely brutal at first, but after 4 or 5 classes, I got used to it and couldn't stop. I still take a few times a week.
Let me know what your favorite workouts are! What should I try? @sydneyscotia
Thanks for reading!